Monday, February 8, 2010

Manage the information overload with blogging

I was talking to a client recently about managing the information overload. She - like many people - is feeling overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information she has to absorb in order to keep up to date with her area of expertise.

I offered her one suggestion that works for me: I blog a lot.

So how does that help manage the incoming information? (I hear you cry) Well, here's why ...

When I'm reading things, not only am I thinking of improving my own knowledge, I'm thinking of ways to blog about it so other people get the value of that knowledge as well. This means the information is twice as valuable as before. So I'm more motivated to read it, and there's more of an incentive to do so.

One of our jobs as experts is to filter stuff for our clients, discarding most of it and re-packaging what's left in a relevant, meaningful way for them. So look for ways to share whatever you learn with your clients. If you can get paid for doing this, so much the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment